Trump Says 50% Canada Tariffs Paused as U.S. and Canada Reach Tentative Deal
August 19, 2026

U.S. President Donald Trump said he has temporarily paused planned 50% tariffs on Canada, announcing that the two countries have reached a deal subject to the completion of formal documents.
According to a post shown in the provided source, the tariffs had been scheduled to take effect the following morning. Trump said the pause would remain in place for three days, citing an agreement reached between Canada and the United States.
Tariff Increase Put on Hold
The proposed 50% tariffs represented a significant escalation in trade tensions between the two neighboring countries. Trump’s latest announcement indicates that the planned measures will not take effect immediately while the two sides work toward finalizing the necessary documentation.
The president described the agreement as being subject to the completion of official documents, suggesting that the arrangement had not yet been presented as fully finalized.
The three-day pause provides a temporary window for the countries to complete the paperwork connected with the reported deal.
Keystone XL Pipeline Returns to the Discussion
A major element of Trump’s announcement was the Keystone XL pipeline.
Trump said the long-discussed pipeline project, which was halted during the administration of former President Joe Biden, could potentially be revived under the reported U.S.-Canada agreement.
The pipeline has long been associated with plans to transport Canadian crude oil to the United States. In the statement shown in the source, Trump connected the possibility of reviving the project with the newly announced agreement between Washington and Ottawa.
Focus Shifts From Tariffs to Bilateral Deal
The announcement changes the immediate direction of the U.S.-Canada trade dispute.
Instead of moving directly toward the implementation of the 50% tariffs, the two countries are now focused on completing documents linked to the reported agreement.
For businesses and markets watching cross-border trade, the temporary suspension provides a period in which the terms of the deal can be finalized.
However, based on the information in the source, the agreement remains dependent on documentation being completed, meaning the three-day period could be important for determining what happens next.
Keystone XL Could Become Part of the New Arrangement
The pipeline reference adds an energy dimension to the reported agreement.
Trump’s statement indicated that the Keystone XL project could be revived, reversing its previous status after the project was stopped during Biden’s presidency.
The pipeline has been a prominent issue in U.S.-Canada energy discussions, and its possible revival could become an important part of the relationship between the two countries if the reported agreement is formally completed.
Three-Day Window Now in Focus
The immediate development is the temporary three-day pause on the planned tariffs.
Trump said the measures were scheduled to begin the following morning but would instead be held back for three days because the United States and Canada had reached a deal, subject to final documentation.
The coming days will therefore be important as both countries work through the remaining formalities.
For now, the announcement signals a pause in the planned tariff escalation and opens the possibility of a broader agreement involving both trade and the future of the Keystone XL pipeline.